Thread: Greenfinch (stacked converters)

Ofer Levy

Default Greenfinch (stacked converters)

Attached Images Attached Images

1D Mark II, Canon 500 f4, x1.4, x2, 1/200, f10, iso 400, car as hide

Another oldie I have just re-processed. Nothing special but I like the IQ and sharpness with the stacked converters.

Nearly full frame - taken as a vertical.

Ofer Levy

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a tighter crop just to show the sharpness and relatively good detail for 500mm plus stacked converters - total of 1400mm optical focal lenght. I guess the kye is to stop down to f10 or even a bit more if possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ofer, pretty good IQ for stacked converters. Good choice of comp to suit the overall setting, and I do like the pose. The BG is nice and smooth too. The leaf on the right keeps drawing my eye, but there's not much you could do about that. The car is such a great place to shoot from.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! Wonderful perch, pose and BG and great job with the stacked converters!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ofer, indeed the IQ is very nice considering the stacked TCs. excellent BG as well. well exposed as always.

For my taste, its a little too tight at top and bottom.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive quality and sharpness, Ofer. I wish I had the brain to do this the other day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the perch, pose, HA, IQ and complimentary BG. Well done Ofer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, I cannot believe the quality you captured with stacked converters. That is amazing and I wouldn't have thought it. I love the perch crop and bg and as I said that is pretty amazingly sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks very nice and sharp, especially considering stacked TCs.
    Comp a bit tight for me too, but it works to showcase the sharpness achieved.
    Did you use a beanbag or any other support for stability at this effective focal length and low SS? I have to try this and see if I can do half as good.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ofer, can you clarify on the aperture reading? I would expect 1.4 plus 2x on the f4 lens to give you a max aperture of f11, unless one of the TCs was non-reporting. Interested with regard to my own experiments...

Sharpness certainly looks good for the combo, though it's not the sharpest (looking) image I've seen from you.

Ofer Levy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Warnock View Post
    Ofer, can you clarify on the aperture reading? I would expect 1.4 plus 2x on the f4 lens to give you a max aperture of f11, unless one of the TCs was non-reporting. Interested with regard to my own experiments...

Sharpness certainly looks good for the combo, though it's not the sharpest (looking) image I've seen from you.
    Hi Geoff,
    You are right of course...
    Whenever I use stacked converters (doesn't happen often at all) I stop down to f13. I think the camera always shows the "wrong" aperture reading. As to sharpness - there are a few factors that reduce it - the first is all the glass in the way of the light and the second is the distance with the atmospheric issues involved.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update Ofer. Not starting from the best lens, I'll only really be trying stacked 1.4 and 2x for fun and/or record shots, but good to see what can be achieved.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wow..this is excellent liked the IQ, light, HA perch and overall compo..can you explain about "distance with the atmospheric issues involved."distance with the atmospheric issues involved."

thanks,
    Yogesh

Ofer Levy

Quote Originally Posted by yogesh_puranik View Post
    wow..this is excellent liked the IQ, light, HA perch and overall compo..can you explain about "distance with the atmospheric issues involved."distance with the atmospheric issues involved."

thanks,
    Yogesh
    Thanks for your comment Yogesh. The further you are from the subject IQ will shuffer as there is more air between you and the subject. In the air there is always humidity which will effect the sharpness, certain areas are warmer than others so there is constant movement of air plus humidity which will effect sharpness. It is easy to understand when you see video footage taken in a hot day from a distance and the subject will be quite blurred.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi ofer..

thanks for detailed explanation..it was very useful..