Avocet Kiss

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

S

Stephen Cunliffe

Avocet kiss.jpg

I needed to dial in quite a lot of exposure compensation to allow for the water being brighter than the bird.
Canon 50D
400mm IS DO
ISO 200
f/4 @ 1/640
evaluative metering +1.7

would greatly appreciate suggestions for improvement.

Avocet-kiss.jpg

Excelent exposure job (I am a big fan of white BG when they are well exposed, like in this case). I like the simmetry of the image and the mirror like reflection in the calm water. I only wish for a litle bit more room at th eright and perhaps a litle increase in saturation beacuse the image looks a bit flat. Very, very good job Stephen

Last edited:
Avocet-kiss.jpg

The mood of the image is very serene. You did well with the +EC. Juan makes some excellent points. I think the best way to correct for what Juan describes as a flat image is to boost contrast. Although I didn't add canvas (which I would also recommend), here's a repost with the contrast slider boosted by 36 in PS. I also wish there was a little more life in the eye.

Last edited:
Nice calm image. I might have used fill flash to get a catchlight though. Doug's repost is better. With the 50D, I find I am always adding +EC, even in direct sunlight: the 50D just seems to need a lot of extra light.

I really like the symmetry in this photo. It just seems to need a bit of pop to put it over the top for me. Excellent timing. Well done. Dave

Stephen:

Lovely, contemplative image. Agree with the techs mentioned. I like the increased contrast approach best I think. Excellent shooting angle for generating a good reflection.

Aidan, although flash would have given you a catchlight, it might have caused some issues with reflections off the water onto the body of the bird that looked unnatural. Would have been interesting to see the effect however.

Cheers

Randy

I like the serene mood, reflection and the tip of the bill touching the water. Good suggestions above regarding more canvas on the right, contrast boost and I might try a midtone adjustment to 0.85 or so.

Well Well! Congrats Stephen! I just noticed that this image is a finalist this year in Canon's Photography in the parks contest! Somehow I knew I'd find the photographer over here in BPN! Best of luck to you in the voting!

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I wanted to applaud Mr Cunliff. I saw this photograph a year ago in a gallery in Port Townsend and wished I had bought it then. The weekend after New Years I happened to wander into the same gallery and was pleased to see it again. This time it came home with me. Beautiful image, and I'm delighted to own a print...

Latest posts

Back