American Goldfinch

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Jim Crosswell

IMG_5280bpn.jpg

I posted a similar image a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get a better crop on this one. It is a set-up in my backyard and was taken in mid August. The perch is from a Sumac tree. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500mm f/4
ISO 400
f/7.1
1/320s
tripod
natural light

Last edited:
Jim, Im not sure what the perch is, but it makes a lovely setting with the red contrasting against the yellow of the finch. Super comp and pose, and overall nice and sharp.

Nice pose, nice catchlight, yellows looks great, and I think the sumac is an interesting perch. Nice job.

Yes, the sumac looks great. BTW this plant's reds last a long time througout the winter months...perfect perch for that time too. Perfect exposure, and the fine details look good. Although I like this crop as is, did you try some with the subject a bit smaller in the frame with a bit more perch showing?

Highly appealing image...

Agree that the perch is so complimentary that it might pay to include more of it. Simple composition and colour scheme that works beautifully, well done.

Thanks for all the comments. I didn't take any images with more of the perch. I will have to wait until next year when they are in summer plumage again. The BG is a OOF fence.

Jim, I'm farther north than you are and always have a sizable flock that sticks around through the winter - you may too if you keep a niger seed feeder well stocked....I find that many of the winter plumaged individuals are quite beautiful in their own right and would look nice on sumac. Also, did you read the winter finch report for 2010-11...looking good for redpolls this year:)

Jim, I'm farther north than you are and always have a sizable flock that sticks around through the winter - you may too if you keep a niger seed feeder well stocked....I find that many of the winter plumaged individuals are quite beautiful in their own right and would look nice on sumac. Also, did you read the winter finch report for 2010-11...looking good for redpolls this year:)

Thanks for the information Daniel. I do keep the feeder well stocked and will give it another shot. I also want to get the female Cardinal on this perch.

Latest posts

Back