Northern Cardinal Strikes a Pose

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Doug Brown

Lifetime Member
This Cardinal's head caught just the right amount of sun for a nice frame. You can see that the perch is somewhat shaded. I was lucky, because this was my favorite Cardinal frame from my time at Elephant Head.

20120502-_5D31393-Northern-Cardinal-crop.jpg

Canon 5D Mark III, 600mm, f/7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, manual exposure, tripod, blind<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0"><embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Nice image
Maybe its just me, but I find the reds a little hot (255 in many of the pixels in the upper chest and side of head) on my calibrated monitors.
If this were my image, a little work and some light masking in those areas yields this image, which opens up the feather details in the areas I am talking about.
DougBrown.jpg

I like Doug's color rendition a whole lot better personally.

Great pose, wonderful eye contact, love the background.

Really enjoy the light falling on the head and emphasizing that color wise.

What a long and slender beauty this guy is (compare to the ones I see in my backyard)!! Perfect vertical composition for this perch and pose combo. The open and spread-out crest makes this image sing :) I do wish the perch was sunlit too, but man that is one mighty fine cardinal picture!!

Hi Doug, your comp works well, and what a great look back pose you managed in this. I really like the detail and sharpness, and those reds really stand out so well against that killer BG.

Thanks for attempting a repost Don. You've definitely made the detail in the reds more visible. I thought about bringing them down more than I did but I liked the increased saturation, and I felt that there was sufficient detail in the feathers in the OP. It's a matter of taste.

Latest posts

Back