Kenko 1.4X TC/5D Mark III Questions...

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Arthur Morris

Publisher
Staff member
Admin
If anyone has a Canon EOS-5D MIII and a Kenko 1.4X TC (the top of the line one: C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300) and (preferably) an 800mm f/5.6L IS (or a 400mm f/5.6L) I ask:

Have you used any of the above combos successfully getting AF when you are not supposed to get AF (i.e., at f/8)?

Artie, maybe not directly answering your question, but I rented the 5DMKIII last week and used my 500, with a canon1.4 and my Kenko non reporting 1.4 and focused worked. The top of the line 1.4 I believe has all pins, so it reports, my guess is it will not work., but let's see if anyone else chimes in. Good luck.

Artie, maybe not directly answering your question, but I rented the 5DMKIII last week and used my 500, with a canon1.4 and my Kenko non reporting 1.4 and focused worked. The top of the line 1.4 I believe has all pins, so it reports, my guess is it will not work., but let's see if anyone else chimes in. Good luck.

You are right: not directly answering my question. :) The Kenko 1.4X as above and the 5D III works fine with both the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and the 300mm f/2.8L IS II and I was 100% sure that it would work with the 500 f/4. And, just for the record book and not that it matters, but the Kenko 1.4X worked fine with the 800/Mark IV and the results were super sharp... But thanks!

I thought the f8 AF was the more relevant piece of information, which the MkIII was able to do. I placed the Canon 1.4 first on the lens, then the Kenko. In the end, it 'acts' like a 2x, but with AF, with all the downsides of slower AF (I did not try BIF) , reduced contrast, etc.. Best for static and/or slower moving objects IMO.

What is your name? I already knew about stacking the two TCs. I had assumed that the Kenko would focus fine with the 5DIII and the 800. It would have been way better than AF using the tape the pins trick. BUT, when I put the Kenko 1.4 on the lens with the 5D III the aperture reads 00. AND, worse yet, when you put the 5D III on another lens it the aperture will show as 00 even without the Kenko TC in place. The camera functions normally after you remove and replace the batter....

I was simply looking for someone to replicate the problem.

Artie, I am Neil. Love reading your blog. I have the kenko that has only 8 pins ( or is it five?), whichever is the one that does not need taping. I bought it to use with my 400/5.6 +50D back in the day. Sounds like Canon has some software bugs in this area in their 5DMKIII? Leave it up to us to try and make every combination work, regardless of what they tell us :)

I live in NJ and still have the 400/5.6, though it does not get much use these days. If I need 400mm I tend to use my 300/2.8 w/1.4x.

You can help me out then. Put the Kenko 1.4X--is it the same one that I mentioned--on the 400 f/5.6 and then mount the 5D III and turn it on. Let me know if the aperture reads f/8 or 00. Not to worry, if it reads 00 just remove the battery and re-insert it. THAT would be a huge help.

If anyone has a Canon EOS-5D MIII and a Kenko 1.4X TC (the top of the line one: C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300) and (preferably) an 800mm f/5.6L IS (or a 400mm f/5.6L) I ask:

Have you used any of the above combos successfully getting AF when you are not supposed to get AF (i.e., at f/8)?

Hey Artie,

The problem is you are using "the top of the line one", C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300. That one has full communication to the camera just like the Canon ones do so you have the same problem. You need to use this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674589-REG/Kenko_MC4AF1_4DGXC_TelePlus_MC4_AF_1_4X.html

Notice in the picture on my link only has 8 pins (3+5) where as the other one and Canon ones use 11 pins (8 + 3). It is those extra 3 pins that the software in the camera looks for to disable focussing.

I use the Kenko TelePlus MC4 AF 1.4X DGX Teleconverter on my 5D3 with the 400 f5.6 and the auto focus is really good. I have also used it with the 500 F4 plus Can 1.4 ext to give me 1,000mm on the 5D3. That works well too.

My preferred gear setup right now for 2 cameras is to have my 7D on the 500 f4 with the Canon 1.4 extender for more stationary birds and use the 5D3 with 400 5.6 and Kenko 1.4 extender for quick handheld birds in flight.

The Eagle in Flight image I showed you was with the 5D3, 400 f5.6 and Kenko 1.4. Here's that picture online
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlebirdman/7293210436/in/photostream

Best regards,
Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug! I just ordered the 1.4 and 2X to try. Good shot. This could be a real benefit.

Hi Patrick,
Just read that this will NOT work with the x2 converter:
http://www.michaelfurtman.com/taping_the_pins.htm

I will use a Canon 1.4 convertor rather than the Kenko as I know the Canon are excellent optically and I doubt that the Kenko will be as good. A converter is such an important element in determining IQ so I won't take any chance.

Last edited:
Hi Ofer,

"Hi Patrick,
Just read that this will NOT work with the x2 converter:"

That article is about the Canon Teleconverters, and he is taping the pins to get the camera to focus at f8. The reason the 2X does not work in this case is that he is using it on a f5.6 lens, so it would be f11 with the 2X. I have both Canon teleconverters, but in order to use the 800 + 1.4X with the 5DIII (or 1DX for that matter) I have to tape the pins on the 1.4X. It works, but on just and hunts around a lot. I wanted to try the Kenko 1.4 that does not have the additional pins to see if it might work better. The 2X is to test with some other lenses as I want to get the 600 f4, but really need the 2X 1200mm combo.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS, Kenko 1.4X TC (the top of the line one: C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300), and Mark IV. Unfortunately it does not seem that this Kenko TC will AF with the 800 and the 5DIII.

I was stunned by the sharpness of all the stuff I made that morning.

Patrick, which Kenko TCs are you ordering???

Attachments

• White-bearded-Manakin-BPN--_W3C3717--Asa-Wright-Nature-Center,-Trinidad.jpg
    White-bearded-Manakin-BPN--_W3C3717--Asa-Wright-Nature-Center,-Trinidad.jpg
    245.9 KB
Hi Artie, I have no experience with any Kenko teleconverter. From what I read in here it is my understanding that the Kenko converter you used to get this image is not the one that allows AF. The right one is the Kenko TelePlus MC4 AF 1.4X DGX.
This image is not a great one to show sharpness as the only sharp area in it is the small area around the eye - the rest is really OOF. Maybe you got a better example?

Latest posts

Back