Gannet preening

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Steve Kaluski

Wildlife Moderator
Staff member
_B4Y5586-Edit.jpg

Going way, way back into the archives for this and where Bempton had little or no fencing to protect you from the 300ft drop, or the nice new viewing platforms either.

So perched rather precariously you could get close, albeit rather silly now, but... Shot with a camera that had less pixels than most phones these days it still delivered sharp images, but was a great camera for its time. HH at 1/400, not the techs for me now...:S3:, but then ISO wasn't so good then either, the thought of shooting at ISO6400, 10k, or higher forger, but now, the world is all there.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Gannet ( Morus bassanus) Preening on cliff face
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Lens: EF500mm f/4IS USM HH
Exposure: 1/400s at f/9 ISO400
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the top
Processed via: LR Classic 9.4 & PSCC2020

Last edited:
Nice one....this is my type of photography...maybe because I can see the Bass Rock from my window...You have real good detail on the feathers, with a lovely preening pose. The RHS of the frame gives the impression of a big drop...Although we cannot see the eye, the facial expression gives a feel of contentment which I like....I wonder if Morus 'Bassanus' is a word related to 'Bass' rock.

TFS Steve

Will

Who knows Will, but a good thought, thanks for the feedback. Haven’t been to Bass, but have enjoyed Tentsmuir a lot!

8.2mpx Will, so as you can see there is truckloads of detail and info, so the R6 is for you, unless I’m missing something, it will deliver what you want and more, the R5 less so and you would have to contend with the odd pixel blur based on how you shoot, just my take. Checkout Wildlife, again same camera specs. :w3

The peaceful preening pose is nice. I don't mind the closed eye. Detail looks spot on per ususal. The rocks contrast with the bird nicely.

Lovely image, Steve. Wonderful detail and colours, as well as composition. Sharpness is spot on. Perfect DoF.

I like the preening pose, the closed eye contributes to the mood of the frame. Those tiny feathers on the rock suggest this is a 'preening spot', a safe place for birds to visit and tidy up plumage from time to time:S3:

Enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,

Thanks folks.

The eye being closed doesn’t worry me a jot Gabriela, likewise Will too. For me, I have tried to illustrate the beautiful/depth of plumage and the eye being closed indicates contentment/safety IMHO. This location has been used for decades Gabriela and a safe haven from predators, something Will has seen on Bass Rock too. :S3:

Latest posts

Back