Dad with the 'bacon'

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Steve Kaluski

Wildlife Moderator
Staff member
_F3A8145-Edit.jpg

Having spent at least two solid weeks of fishing and then every time heading straight back many hundred metres up stream with a catch to feed the brood, Dad finally returned back to the perch with a fish after diving into the stream.

I was shooting wider for several reasons, but it still works here I think, rather than the more 'tighter' crops. At ISO 12,800 it's reasonablele, the perch is looking rather bedraggled now with the extensive usage, but if that's his preferred perch so be it.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (M) (Alcedo atthis)
Camera: Canon EOS R3
Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Exposure: 1/3200s at f/8 ISO12,800 EV -1
Original format: Portrait, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC 12.4 & PS'23 24.7.0

Looks good as always Steve. I do like how you cropped it is better with more room all around as you mentioned rather than being tight. Like that far away look along with the water droplets .Colors and sharpness right on TFS.

Thank you Kevin, you will see why I shot wider later, but can’t help but love to shoot tight to really amplify the gorgeous plumage as it’s made up of different sized feathers. Having worked with these guys for almost two years you get to see far more of the Parent/Juvenile interactions. Within five days they are booted out to fend for themselves.

Dark greens with deep shadows is problematic at times and sometimes the R3 sensor is not always that great, but only on occasion. Trying to look at another option for the backdrop, but need to be respectful to the KF’s and juveniles peppering the location. ��

Hi Steve ,
a wider view is sometimes quite nice , I do like the perch and the fish is always a cool bonus .
Comp is solid and the overall color and tones are well rendered .
Would like to see more feather structure in the white patch , looks a little washed out ... here on my screen . And if you have the perch not being cut off at the bottom .... but this is very minor .

TFS Andreas

Looks stunning to me, Steve. Superb frame, love the colours, very striking (including that dark green BG!). Great pose from 'Dad' and the catch (little fish) adds so much interest. As well as those droplets of water.
Framing is spot-on, subject sharp with. nice detail. Overall a well exposed well processed image that gives justice to the species, wonderful work :cheers:

Warmest regards,

Looks good to me Steve, and nice vertical comp here too. I only wish the fish was facing our way instead, but of course you get what you get in these cases.

Latest posts

Back