Kingfisher - subadult

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Jonathan Ashton

Macro and Flora Moderator
Staff member
_1018033-.jpg

I took this image at a local bird reserve - it is not captive and not a set up - just a case of being in the right place but ? at the wrong time. I am interested to find out what you make of it. The lighting was very tricky, I had to underexpose considerably to prevent the white feathers and the highlights on the perch from blowing out. It's not everyday I get to photograph these little jewels so I have tried to make the best of the awkward lighting angle. I have used several masks in ACR to try to get some detail and colour. So what do you think - OK or a pig's ear??

Hand held, OM-1 150mm-400mmTC Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1002.0mm
Shooting Mode : Manual
ISO : 1600
Shutter : 1/4000 sec
F.No. : F5.6
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV

Hi Jon,

This really appeals to me. Different is good!

I really like the way the light catches enough of the Kingfisher to highlight the shape and the colour.

Good that you kept this one!

Gerald

I might be tempted to reduce the highlights on the branch to keep the emphasis on the bird.

Hi Gerald, glad you thought worthwhile, I agree about the branch I tried all sorts to get the high lights down. I have some more for later.

_1018033-RPA.jpg

Hi Jon .... I rather like this one in general , kind of different shot and lighting .
Pose is nice as is the overall setting , you did well with the difficult situation .
Just the perch is a bit strong due to the natural light fall .... not much you can do .... unless you do monkey a lot :t3. At least I would try to do it .....
I might try to lift the facial area ... as you have already played around with the tones .

TFS Andreas

Last edited:
Hi Jon. I like this, something different from the usual. The BG in front of the bird looks amazing. Even reducing the exposure further, looks good for my taste.

Will

Latest posts

Back