Finch Illustration

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Dave Woeller

finch illustration.jpg

I worked this finch shot in Topaz Adjust in an attempt to get the look of an old bird ID manual illustration. I wish his tail hadn't been cut off, but I enjoyed the time spent on the image.

Awesome work Dave. One of the best illustrated looks I've seen. The high-key BG and perch are perfect. I agree w/ Indranil regarding the tail:)

Agree with all the comments - I love the diagonal of the perch and the brown tones. I think it would be worth creating that virtual tail too, but it does look awesome even without it.

Dave, do you have any other images that have the full tail? Would certainly be worth the effort to do an "extension". I love the way this looks and the fact that you got the look with a single filter. Very cute finch.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I need to apologize for some mis-information. The filter used was actually a combination of Topaz and Fractalious. I had been experimenting with multiple filters and the frac part of this shot had slipped my mind when I posted (it's that age thing again :(). I may try to construct a tail for this guy.

Nice work on the finch Dave. I like the illustrative look. I might try some of my bird photos and see what I can come up with. I've only used Fractalius a few times and still getting a feel for it.

This really brings out the texture and "attitude" of this lovely bird. Excellent work, Dave.

Thanks again Judy, Julie and Steve. As a matter of fact, the image did come from a shot on my feeder last winter.

Latest posts

Back