Loon Season 2024 begins

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Randy Stout

Avian Moderator
Staff member
20240526_MI_Larks-Lake_Loons__LRP5522-BPN.jpg

I had my first outing with my beloved loons this weekend. There is a nesting pair that I have followed for years, and they are on the nest. Expect chicks within the next week.

Z9. 180-600. 540mm, ISO 800. 1/800 sec. Shot from my kayak. About 6" above the water.

LR & PS. Cropped to taste.

Hey Mr Loon is back :5
A very fine " opening season shot " ...
Nice pose , super low gorgeous POV .... lovely . Stunning eye .... good to see you kept all the details in the shot .
Amazed that you can get such sharpness from your kayak and the relatively slow SS .

Great work all around

TFS Andreas

Nice to see the Loons back in action here in BPN, Randy!

Sunset or sunrise?

A fine pose here. Really nice details, esp in the head/eye. Comp looks good.

Didn't check but seems the whites in the breast may be a touch hot. Obviously tough to expose blacks and whites but especially when the darker plumage is in the shadows.

I would evict that speck above the rump at right. TFS.

Andreas: My kayak is a NuCanoe, with a 42" beam, so quite stable. Pain to paddle, so generally use a bow mounted trolling motor.

Very nice Randy. Lovely POV. I really like the pose and the colours on the bird. The red eye and the water droplets on the head add so much. I was photographing them on the Isle of Mull a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't get close enough for a decent image. Certainly nothing like your one here. I need a kayak. :w3

Will

[. I need a kayak. :w3

Will[/QUOTE]

Will:

Loons are difficult to shoot from shore, for sure. They are constantly moving as they fish and patrol their territory. There is a reason I have a couple of kayaks and two boats that I use for them. Exact rig depends on the lake size, access, etc.

Randy

Latest posts

Back